Sunday, July 19, 2009

The house is alive, with the sound of Kara

Kara sings her way through the day. In fact, hours can go by where she sings every single thing she says. Very cute.

OK, so the "hair story". In the past, people used to randomly come up to me and Kara and comment on how thick and lush Kara's hair was. It happened all the time, but Kara seemed quite unaware. We were at the park 2 weekends ago when a lady came up to me and commented on how beautiful Sophie's hair was ... the color, the curls, etc. Kara was standing right next to me but appeared not to have heard. Fast forward to the next day when I picked Kara up from school and was handed a plastic bag with a lock of hair in it ... a huge lock of hair. Kara had cut her hair at school - when I asked why she said "no reason". I left it for a while then asked again. The reply this time was "I wanted my hair to be short like Sophie's". I felt for her, I really did. But I can't believe girls start to think like this at 3!! For the past 2 weeks I have heard lots of comments and questions such as "am I as pretty as you mum?" and "I'm prettier than Sophie right mum?". After lots of prompting she now says "Sophie and I are both pretty aren't we mum?". Oh dear ...
Anyway, here are this weekend's photos:


"Special Baby" had to have her photo taken again.

It's amazing how well Kara and Sophie share Special Baby, considering this is both their favorite baby - they take it it turns sleeping with her, caring for her, traveling in the car with her, etc. I had always meant to buy a second one so they wouldn't fight over her, but maybe having one turned out for the best as they have learnt to share.
Kara has been talking about climbing trees for ages, but most of the evergreens around here have branches that start 15 feet up in the air. Then I remembered the "magical tree" which is in a park a mere 5 minutes away. The kids get to crawl under and inside where a magical world awaits.


This is Kara 15 months ago when we first arrived! Sophie wasn't even a year old yet! I can't believe I had forgotten about this tree until now.

And this is Kara and Sophie this morning.



Sophie ... literally hanging on for dear life. She typically follows Kara everywhere but was definitely not impressed with this adventure.

Kara did really well considering she is often timid with new adventures/experiences, especially where heights are involved. She'll typically want me right by her side. But today Kara spotted the perfect snack spot, was incredibly excited, and climbed straight up to it.

OK, so it may not look that high ... but it was Kara's special spot for the morning. Kara decided to get more adventurous after this and fell from higher up, but after a few minutes of tears she went straight back in again.


And where was Sophie while Kara was at the top of her castle ... Sophie was totally content sitting in her "special spot" ... with her 2 little feet a whole inch off the ground!

Then we went for a hike on a series of trails right next to the park. Yes, only 5 minutes from our house. Yesterday we drove 45+ minutes to the Granite Mountain trail head so we could get the girls used to hiking - they loved the hiking but the drive there and back was full of "I'm thirsty ... I need the potty ... I'm hungry ... "she" took my book ... I need the potty for real this time ...". So I wised up this morning and the girls had an equally fun trail experience.


Sophie relaxing at the end of the hike (with Special Baby, of course, and Dolly).

The girls (yes, that's Sophie drinking her drink "through" her dress).

We even squeezed in some art time before nap. Kara said this is a drawing of her when she was a baby. All of a sudden her figures have feet and hands ... and even 5 fingers on each hand! (Her hair has a hair band in it ... in case you were wondering).

1 comment:

Ryaanne said...

They are both fabulous! Looks like a blast.