And of course, it's all my fault.
First, it is never good to directly or indirectly take your anger out on your child. And second, it is doubley not good to do so when it is connected to potty-training. Mummy scores "2 out of 2"!
I was constructing the new bed I had bought Kara (new, fancy, full-size bed). We were having a lovely time and she appeared very excited about the new BIGGER bed and the cute butterfly and flower blanket/pillow case that I had purchased. She suddenly remarked (as she had been doing all week) "I go potty all by myself". Sure thing Kara - you know the way.
Kara got to the bathroom door and turned back saying "No ... I don't need to go anymore". Now I know what this means when Kara says this - it means she does actually need to go. So I encourage her to go back. "No. I really do not need to go. I'm all dry" says Kara. Fine, and so we go back to hitting things together pretending we know what we're doing. 5 minutes later - "I need to go potty" but again she turns back after getting to the bathroom door. Hmmm, I thought, she really should go. So I scoop her up and head to the loo.
Kara started wailing. Actually it was more like screeching. And writhing. The works. "No! No! I don't wanna go. Ahhhhh!!!" OK, OK, you don't have to go. Fine, just stop that noise please! And so I set her down and we eventually go back to hitting things.
5 minutes later, you guessed it, "I need to go potty". (Mummy is thinking "Grrrrr"). I take one step towards her and she backs away with her arms defensively out in front "No! No!". So I stop and as pleasantly as I could muster said "OK Kara, but you HAVE to tell mummy when you want to go or just go by yourself". Kara took me literally as she stood there on top on the pile of slats meant for the bed (you know, the 12 or so individual slats of wood that hold the mattress in place) and pee'd. I have never snapped in front of my kids before, but I spun around to face the opposite wall and cried "Damn it!".
Poor Kara. When I turned back around she started crying like she does when she is genuinely upset. I flew her to the bathroom and placed her (probably not all that delicately) on the loo. I half cleaned her up then raced back to clean up the mess. Since the slats had all been stacked on top of each other, the pee had cascaded down and over each and every one, then onto the new carpet. I know it's only pee but uggh! I was cleaning it up when Kara came in and asked "Mummy, are you angry at me?". Oh, I nearly burst into tears. I had upset and scared her so much. She wouldn't let me hug her and she refused to put on underwear for the next 3 hours. She took herself to the loo when she needed to poop (thank the Lord!), but for the rest of the day she refused to go potty for a pee and choose to wet herself (and her pants when I finally got her into them) and the floor, etc, each time. And I deserved every one of them too!
I'm so sorry Kara sweetie!
(PS. Kara hugged me so tightly this morning and she went to the potty by herself every time today ... so no permanent scars ... this time).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey - don't be quite so hard on yourself. We all have bad days sometimes. What matters is that you recognize the behavior and try to change it. When I'm at my worst it usually means that I'm feeling a little resentful and need some time to myself to regroup. Maybe you need a break?
Post a Comment