Both girls love to help with cooking. But it was usually when something fun was being made ... pancakes, cookies, muffins and the like (and I rarely make any of these). Although Sophie does make the best scrambled eggs all on her own and Kara has mastered the toaster and the microwave.
Then Kara decided to write their own recipe book with the recipes they could make with little help from me. Step by step instructions. Very cute.
Kara just had to try out her new book and insisted on preparing ALL the meals today, completely by herself - yep, I was banned from the kitchen (although when I realized dinner involved boiled eggs, I did insist on hovering at the kitchen door while she was spooning the eggs out). Apart from me figuring out she was boiling eggs, the rest of the meals were a mystery until they were served. Kara also pretended she was waitressing at a fancy restaurant, where the head chef then let her cook the meals because her family were coming to the restaurant.
So what did we have the entire day?
Breakfast - wetabix (English cereal), granola & blueberries. Easy, sure, but she did remember to add ground flax to mine and not spill the milk. And mine was served in bed.
Lunch - for the girls she made a platter of cheese, pita & humus, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes and left over pasta; and for me she made a cheese & spinach quesadilla (microwave version). Kara added dollops of blue cheese and it REALLY tasted good.
Dinner - boiled eggs (perfectly cooked to everyone's runniness liking ... she had taken them out at 7 mins for me, 8 for her and 10 for Soph), diced cucumber/chickpea/tomato salad, chopped carrots on the side ... then ice-cream with strawberry sauce and sprinkles (I had made the sauce previously, but she got it from the freezer and heated it up. I had forgotten I had it in there).
It was odd being banned from the kitchen for a day. Odd, but so so nice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a treat. Eamon likes to prepare 'a plate' - usually plate of veggies but he arranges them in a special way and you must tell him before hand what animal you want it to be. It can take some imagination to make out the animal.
Yum, and how great for her to do this, and for you that she does it!
So lucky--and impressive about Sophie and scrambled eggs. Eggs and pasta are weak spots in my cooking arsenal. I hope you get their cookbook made on one of those photobook sites!!
What an amazing event.
Post a Comment