Thursday, December 13, 2007

Monsters, sleep and poop!

An update on all three.

Things weren't looking good when Kara came home, ran straight to the bottom of the stairs, looked up and asked "doggie upstairs?". No Kara sweetie, there is no doggie upstairs. Fortuitously, someone was walking their dog passed our house so I said “look Kara, the doggie is going away – he’s going to his house so he can go to bed – bye-bye doggie”. Every 10 minutes or so Kara would look anxiously at me and say “I’m scared of doggie” and I would reiterate that we saw the doggie go home to his house. Later, when I popped Kara into bed she lay there with her eyes wide open and said "doggie?", I thought we were in for a rough night but she miraculously drifted off to sleep and slept straight through ‘til morning. Of course the first thing out of her mouth again was “doggie go woof, woof”. When I asked her where the doggie was she pointed “doggie outside” (at least this is a positive progression from the closet).

Sophie, on the other hand, has had a couple of great nights of sleeping; only waking briefly to feed once each night. She has always gone instantly back to sleep after feeding, thankfully, but the problem was she was still feeding 2-3 times a night.

On a good note for Kara, potty training is going swimmingly well – although I can’t really call it “training” as it’s been more incidental than us being totally proactive. We’ve only had 3 poopy mishaps at home since Thanksgiving (and she’s still wearing pull-ups so they aren’t true mishaps). Problem is that Kara only tells mummy when she wants to go (and occasionally she tells Sophie!) – not daddy, not her teachers at daycare, just mummy. So guess who has to run to the loo with her each time! A couple of times she has even waited for me to arrive at day-care before announcing she needs to go – gee, thanks Kara! Rushing you to the day-care toilets is the last thing I want to do after working all day!

The only current downside to potty training is when Kara wakes up early (i.e. 5-5:30am) needing to go pee-pee but thinks she should be on the potty – can’t really blame her since we tell her this is where she has to go pee-pee during the day.

No comments: