I like it when I wake up on any given day and I have no idea who I am. I have to wait diligently until Kara informs me of my identity. Today I was a 'father' and she was a 'mummy' (meaning we put 'our' baby to bed, went for a stroll, and other such parenting activities); yesterday I was a 'mummy train' while she was a 'baby train' (which meant we scooted around on our butts all day saying "
chooga, chooga ... choo choo!"); the day before I was 'kitty cat' and she was 'Baby Hannah' (which meant we alternated between me rubbing myself up against her legs and tummy 'meowing', and pretending to feed Baby Hannah mushy food and a bottle). My other common vocations have been a monkey, a 'nice' monster, a spider, a
doggie ... and the oddest ... a baby. Why odd you ask? Well it starts with Kara feeding me food/milk and putting me to bed with pillows/blankets and back rubs, then it usually ends in diaper changes ... literally (just don't ask!). I typically love these daily games, although one day last week Kara still expected me to be in 'kitty cat' role when I picked her up from school and she chucked an enormous
hissy fit in the school hallway when I remarked that I was NOT going to crawl like a kitty cat to the car. (Oh believe me, it was a kicking and screaming
hissy fit ... the likes of which I had never seen before!).
I like it when Sophie's face ignites into huge beaming smiles every time she sees me, even if it's only been 5 seconds since the last glance. And she often borders on
hysterical giggles when I pull funny faces, pop my mouth with a finger, click my tongue, etc.
I like it when Kara wakes up at 5:30am and sings songs and reads her Mr Men books .. and periodically yells out "
is it 6 o'clock yet?" When we answer "yes ... (sigh) ... it's 6 o'clock Kara" she
pitter-patters into our room, comes to my side of the bed, strokes my check and says "
there, there, mummy ... can I read you some books?". (Of course there are all the other times when she instantly yells out for us, wants to go potty, yells out again, wants the potty again ...). She also has the habit of coming into our room anytime after 5:30am to announce that she's going to the potty but she doesn't need help ... yeah, thanks Kara.
I like it when, at 6:15pm every night, I put Sophie to bed, awake, and she sleeps until at least 6:15am without a peep ... although Kara's recent morning singing and book readings has resulted in Sophie waking before 6am.
I like it when Kara gets as excited about Sophie walking as I do.
I like it when Lance stops by Kara's room on his way to bed each night, just to watch her sleep for a minute or two. I find this very endearing!
No comments:
Post a Comment