Saturday, May 31, 2008

My imaginary friend

I have an imaginary friend. Her name is Kara.

You see Kara was a baby Kitty Cat today (again .. this is one of her regulars). And I was told by the baby Kitty Cat that Kara was sitting beside me and that I had to talk to Kara and ask her if she had seen the Kitty Cat. So I turned to the gap next to me and asked away. Once the 'supposedly-real' baby Kitty Cat appeared bouncing around the corner, I then had to turn to the 'supposedly-real' Kara and tell her that I had found my baby Kitty Cat. The theme continued throughout the day where I was forever having to turn to my imaginary Kara to consult with her on a range of topics and relay the information back to whichever 'character was in front of me at the time.

It's all fun.

PS: I was asked at work this week "so, how was your weekend?". When I replied that most of it was spent meow-ing and rubbing myself up against legs and walls, etc, you could instantly tell who had kids in the room and who did not. Those that did just laughed and retold stories of when their kids play-acted ... and the other half just kept staring at me as if I were either nuts or were joking.

********************
It was my turn to take Kara to bed tonight. After her two books (routinely Mr. Grumpy and Mr. Greedy) Kara always asks "can you sleep with me for a while mummy?". Kara has never, EVER laid still in bed with me for the past 2.5 years so I just love doing this now. When I lay down beside her she grabs my t-shirt with one hand and says "I hold your t-shirt really tight so you won't go mummy" then she throws her other arm around me and hugs me tight. Heaven. She's typically so tired but gallantly tries to hold her end up in a conversation with me. Tonight it was:

Kara: Guess what mummy?
Mummy: What Kara?
Kara: I had an astronaut on my t-shirt today mummy.
Mummy: Oh?
Kara: He was messy and left a stain so I bit him.
Mummy: No sweetie, you cannot bite anyone. That's very naughty.
Kara: I'm not naughty mummy. I didn't bite him.
Mummy: Well that's good sweetie.
Kara: Guess what I said to the astronaut?
Mummy: I don't know Kara, what did you say to him?
Kara: I said "fe..fi..fo..fum" to the astronaut.
Mummy: Really? Did he say anything back?
Kara: He said "you're funny Kara"!

Yes indeed. Sweet dreams my love.

3 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

I'm going to keep my eyes open for some cat's ears at the thrift store and send them your way!

The Lowe said...

Oh today I've had a kitty cat around me too which was such a welcome relief from the tiger, shark, and ferocious dinosaur I'm usually surrounded by.

Laurie said...

I cherish the bedtime extra snuggle too. I have to tear myself away. So yummy!