Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sophie, Interrupted (aka Booster beware)

I'll post photos one of these days. But today's plans got interrupted. Sophie, Interruted.

Wouldn't have even thought to post about it, but Laurie's 'discipline' post made me think, yep, I'm needing a parenting group right about now!

So the girls have been getting up earlier than usual since the daylight savings change. No big deal, but it's more time for them to occupy themselves before we leave for school/work. Things were going well (and by that I mean just the normal give-each-other-the-shits kind of morning), up to their usual tricks while I try to squeeze in a shower and breakfast ... you know, the things I can't actually do in advance the night before.

There I was, patting myself on the back for remaining really calm and not yelling at the numerous things I could have theoretically yelled at. We call it using the "Mister Roger's voice" round here. (I implemented a "no yelling or screaming" policy in the house immediately after one ugly episode a couple of months back ... which child you ask ... no, no, that would have been me ... lice induced).

Who knows what sets Sophie off at times - could be anything or nothing. Yes that sweet, sweet butter wouldn't melt in her mouth child of mine. They were both trying to get into the shoe closet at the same time, so yes, I am sure someone bumped into someone, whatever, but nothing out of the ordinary. I turned to see Sophie try to kick Kara. Nuh uh. Not in this house. (Another rule, but not one borne from something I ever did this time!). So using my best Mister Roger's voice I separated the two, told Sophie that was unacceptable, and told Kara to hurry the heck up and get out of Sophie's way. I did it exactly as I should have ...

Sophie starts wailing on the floor. OK, been there, done that. Current quirk of hers. I calmly told Sophie that I was loading everything into the car and would like her to get her shoes on, blah, blah. I know she heard me - I can smell her fake tantrums a mile off.

3 minutes later I look up from the car and see that Sophie had actually put on her shoes and had come downstairs to the garage. Fabulous, except the wailing had escalated. I wanted to lose it but was determined to stay calm.

Tried coaxing her into her booster. This resulted in her being, uh, placed in her booster. The stubborn little butt then had other tantrumy plans. She was half in, half out and now completely hysterical. In hindsight I should have just got her out of the car and let her settle down. But Kara was getting upset, I was getting upset, I needed to get to work, blah, blah. I was saying something along the lines of 'I have to put you in this seat properly because you need to be safe' (you know, hit her with logic!). I was using almost all my strength to "constrain" Sophie - seriously, each arm was out of the seat belt as soon as they were put in. My legs were holding down her legs and 3 minutes of struggling ensued. Really not pleasant.

Mister Roger had long gone but hadn't quite been replaced by the devil. I resorted to muttering through gritted teeth but nothing too audible. I was holding Sophie's arms quite firmly, down at the wrist level, when I think her bone cracked ... just ever so slightly I must add. I don't think Sophie even noticed, but Kara did. Then Kara began wailing "but I don't want you to go to jail mummy! I don't want Sophie to go to jail either! I'm so scared, please don't go to jail!". (I guess my "if you don't wear a seatbeat then the police will pull mummy over and take her to jail" story back fired today).

But lordy, that's all I needed the neighbors to hear. Hysterical screaming from one and "the police will take you away" screaming from the other. I got Kara out because she really was getting scared then I had to shut the door on Sophie (OK, I'll admit, it was more of a slam than a shut) and walk back into the house for a minute.

OK, getting to the part that ACTUALLY freaked me out ...

Got back into the car, hysterics still from Sophie. Somehow get her semi straight and upright in the booster. My new plan was to drive to their school, race Kara in, then stay with Sophie outside until she calmed down. Great plan until we started driving (did I mention Sophie was still hysterical). Next thing I know, Sophie had wriggled and writhed her way OUT of the booster and was mostly on the floor ... except her head was still in the seatbelt in the booster. Holy S.H.I.T.

Luckily I had only reversed into the back alley way. I frantically searched for her discarded regular harnessed car seat and shoved her in that so that I could at least get the hysterical mess to school SAFELY. Yes, I know, should have abandoned ship and taken everyone upstairs ... that hindsight thing again ...

Sophie eventually calmed down with a lot of coaxing while standing out in the rain in front of her school for 10 minutes, then inside for another 20 minutes or so (her displays typically last only 5 minutes at most, so this left everyone exhausted) ... in the end I promised I would pick her up ridiculously early and she could have as many pink donuts from Top-Pot Donuts as she liked.

So my glass half-full attitude from yesterday was incredibly short lived - I felt like I had utterly failed.

Sigh.

Of course she was her usual butter wouldn't melt in her mouth kind of child when I picked her up. Balance has been restored.

4 comments:

Rachel et Natalie said...

oh my goodness, poor you, what an horrible morning you went through.
I kept saying that I would prefer to do morning shift than evening one with the girls, I am now sticking to the evening shift (smile) because if they cry I let them cry as we are back at home. Of course sometimes they make enough noise to alert all the neigborhood...

Laurie said...

Well, glad to know that someone read my discipline post and is also working on trying to impart reason, although very sorry to hear that you had to cope with such a tough situation! I hope you are laughing about it now...but maybe not just yet? Anyway, that Nurtureshock book I read talked about how kids aggressive behavior is actually a good sign for development. How come it doesn't look or feel good?!

Herself said...

3 is hard! Also I wonder how much of this was aggravated just by you trying to get to work.

Marya said...

I am so sorry this was such a terrible morning. I will say that I have been pretty much exactly there. I think we all have at one point or another. Hang in there.