Friday, November 20, 2009

Parent Teacher Conference ... again!

Gosh, I remember posting about Kara's parent-teacher conference last November and it only seems like yesterday!

What I knew already: enjoys school, curious, imaginative, responsible, respectful (most of the time!), cooperative and helpful, and usually very easy going! Loves art, drawing, writing, music and participating in most activities. Loves, loves her workbook. Loves "kidding around" with the teachers. Very social with the teachers and other parents she knows.

What I learnt: takes risks most of the time, perseveres most of the time, and (drum roll please) ... independent and focused! Whoo-hoo!

Reading back on previous "evaluations" (hate that term), independence and perseverance were not in the "strengths" category at all. But great progress has been observed of late. I don't always get to see this side at home but evidently Kara now works by herself all the time whereas previously she would always want to work with her close friends and only do whatever they were doing. Now she regularly dances to her own tune!

The director also said that Kara is a girl who knows exactly what she wants and will definitely tell you about it (she said this was a GOOD thing ... I just assumed this was Kara being stubborn, but I guess stubbornness got me somewhere in life!). Kara also constantly tests her environment in a positive way (I asked what this meant but still didn't quite get it - maybe it's the curious thing).

Areas that require "assistance" (I love how they say this) - some days Kara has trouble listening to adults (yeah, I know this one) and respecting other children's space/bodies. Hmmm, I've never noticed this one - probably because I am so used to Kara and Sophie interacting and they are fine with each other - but supposedly if another kid is standing in Kara's space (as in right on top of her) Kara will push the other kid away. And? So would I!!

Seems that Kara is a tad competitive too - she'll always want to be first in line and first to be picked to do whatever (whether she then does what she was picked for is another story).

And the parting comment ... Kara is maturing nicely! I had to laugh at the sincerity in which this was said too! She is only FOUR!

PS: A huge, enormous thanks to you Marya for reminding me that children should be allowed to be children in every single way imaginable, and not to get caught up in the "reading, writing and arithmetic" so to speak. If she learns to sew buttons ... then so be it!

1 comment:

Ryaanne said...

Sounds like Kara can be summed up as AMAZING! (and you're welcome).