Already cheating on Day 1 of NaBloPoMo - posting about something that happened yesterday!
Kara had wanted to be a butterfly so I was fortunate enough to find a pair of butterfly wings a week prior (accompanied by a hideous pink dress - $2.50 at a consignment shop!!). Kara wanted to wear it every day last week ... but yesterday morning when I had to dress her for her "Halloween Day" at school ... nope, she wanted nothing to do with the hideous dress. And while I was thankful for her eventual taste, I had the fleeting thought of 'well what now?'. So we dressed her in her favorite pink/purple dress that has butterflies printed all over - so her butterfly wings matched it perfectly. (Since Sophie only goes to daycare with 1-2 other kids we didn't bother dressing her up during the day).
Halloween evening started with a kids party across the street with 16 kids (or should I say 16 fairies, princesses, witches, butterflies, goblins, tin-men, scarecrows, etc). I actually found it slightly overwhelming! Most of the kids were in the age range of 4-6 and were hyperactive in comparison to my kids (which is incredibly odd for me to say considering the non-static nature of my two). But they had a great time (although Sophie was the youngest by far and really had no idea of what was going on).
I decided to dress Sophie as .... a girl! This may sound weird - but often I have her dressed in either a pink top or pink bottom, and still people constantly ask me if she's a boy or a girl - even at 17 months. So I dressed her in pink frilly stuff from head to toe, just to make a point that yes, she is an adorable little girl.
All the kids went straight from the party to "trick or treating". And our house was the first house they all went to. Unfortunately for Jason we hadn't given him advance warning .... he heard a knock on our front door and was greeted by at least a dozen little spooky creatures (and four butterflies). Sophie didn't want any part of going from house-to-house so Lance took her home. I lasted another 45 minutes while the kids knocked on ~14 houses just on our block ... but then the glass of wine I had been carrying needed refilling so I took Kara home. We let her eat 1 candy and then she practically fell asleep in my arms as I carried her up to bed.
Already we are not looking forward to this ritual next year when Kara will actually want to eat all the loot she collected. We got away with only giving her half a candy today ... but I know next year she will have counted them all. We really aren't used to this Hallowwen phenomenum!
1 comment:
Girl, it's totally not cheating to be posting about something that happened yesterday. I'll be posting little anecdotes about stuff that happened "recently" but really happened weeks ago!
Post a Comment